When it comes to enhancement of the nose, there are essentially two options— surgical and non-surgical.
If you are opting for the surgical route, you are talking about rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty is surgery to reshape the nose. It can make the nose larger or smaller; change the angle of the nose in relation to the upper lip; alter the tip of the nose; or correct bumps, indentations, or other defects in the nose. During rhinoplasty, the surgeon makes incisions to access the bones and cartilage that support the nose. Depending on the desired result, some bone and cartilage may be removed, or tissue may be added (either from another part of the body or using a synthetic filler). A splint is placed outside the nose to support the new shape of the nose as it heals.
If you, like many others, do not like the idea of invasive surgery, you can consider non-surgical options of augmenting your nose. The non-surgical Rhinoplasty, or non-surgical nose job as it is most commonly called, is a revolutionary non-invasive cosmetic procedure that allows the nose to be reshaped without surgery. Non-surgical nose reshaping can offer a subtle but definitive change to the appearance of the nose. Using non-surgical nose job techniques, doctors are able to improve the appearance of:
- Bumps or deformities on the bridge.
- Correct a nose that is not symmetrical.
- Elevate or lift the nose tip
- Elevate or define the nose bridge
Techniques used in non-surgical nose jobs
Over the years, there have been many innovations in the field of non-surgical nose augmentation, so much so that much of the non-surgical results are now beginning to rival that of invasive surgery.
Dermal Fillers: Natural Fillers can be carefully injected along the nose bridge to elevate the nose bridge. This is very useful in cases of a flat nose. Nose Fillers can also be injected directly into the nose tip to elevate the nose tip. This is useful in patients with a very depressed nose tip.
Nose Thread Lifts: Nose Thread Lifts are relatively new techniques but have garnered a huge following because if their significant results. They are injected via the tip of the nose through a single incision point using a cannula (a cannula is a blunt tip ‘needle’). Using a cannula instead of a needle helps minimize the risk of injury to vessels in the nose. The threads are then laid onto the cartilage to elevate and define the nose bridge. Using Nose Threads, the doctor can also elevate the tip of the nose.
Pros & Cons of non-surgical nose jobs
- Not permanent: Because the results can last anywhere from 8-15 months (depending on whether you had dermal fillers or thread lifts or a combination of both), the results are not permanent unlike rhinoplasty. If you are using hyaluronic acid dermal fillers only, you can even choose to have the fillers dissolved away within a day or two should you not like the results. For some, this can be a huge advantage, especially if they are unsure if they want to make such a permanent change. For others, this may be a disadvantage if they are hoping for something more permanent.
- Less downtime: Dermal Fillers and Nose Thread Lifts are associated with less downtime than a surgical rhinoplasty. There maybe some swelling for a day, and in occasional cases, some pin prick marks and bruising may be visible. This will fade in a few days, and patients can return to work or normal activities immediately after. Patients can also wear makeup after. With surgery, they may have swelling and bruising of greater severity lasting from a week to 10 days.
- Results can be layered on: While surgical rhinoplasty is a all or nothing procedure, both dermal fillers and nose thread lifts are procedures that you can customize to your liking. Always speak to your doctor and make sure there is a good understanding between you and the doctor. You can start with 1ml of fillers and then add some more in a month as you get used to the results and desire further improvements.
- Nostril size can only reduced with surgery: Unfortunately, non-surgical nose jobs can only ‘add’, not ‘subtract’. If you wish to reduce the size of your nostrils, then rhinoplasty may be the better option for you.
Through non-surgical nose job techniques, the nose can be injected to straighten a nasal profile, lift a droopy tip, create a nose bridge, or smooth out a visible bump. For patients who seek to correct mild imperfections in the aesthetic appearance of their nose, non-surgical rhinoplasty is rapidly becoming a popular alternative to surgery. The non-surgical nose job cannot make a larger nose appear smaller or improve breathing, so it may not be for everyone. Some patients will need to consider a primary rhinoplasty as a treatment option for their desired changes. The non-surgical nose job can, however, correct imperfections on the nose, making it more balanced and symmetric with the rest of the face. This restores facial harmony and can result in a very pleasing, natural appearance.